Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Miniature Oil Painting

For a long time I've wanted to get back into oil painting but the cost of new supplies was prohibitive. But I just got a book at the library by a lady that paints on canvas that is 2 7/8 x 3 1/4". Since the canvas is so small, it's easy on the wallet. Plus they take up less storage space, and galleries are more likely to have room for them. They are cheaper to frame and ship. And since you can finish the painting in one sitting, you don't lose the mood of the painting or the lighting if you are doing en plein aire or alla prima. I can even get by with the smaller set of oil paints instead of buying the large tubes like I did in college.  Now I just hope Guy will be willing to drive the 30 miles to Michael's or JoAnne's soon so I can get supplies. Or maybe I should just order them from Art Supply Warehouse. The book that inspired me is called Big Art Small Canvas by Joyce Washor. Even if you still prefer normal sized paintings the book is full of advice that applies to all paintings.

No comments: