The gourd Santa is all done. I wanted to write a more detailed step-by-step tutorial, but I think I'll have to wait until I get more time on the library computers, or until I get something better than dial-up. I did get it listed on Etsy in time for Christmas so that's a start.
Here is a brief list of steps:
1. Find a Santa shaped gourd and clean it well.
2. Coat with gesso, let dry and sand with fine sandpaper a bit to smooth surface again.
3. Draw light guidelines on gourd with a pencil
4. Block in colored areas with first coat of paint using a medium brush.
5. Let dry thoroughly
6. Go in with finer brush and do all the detail work, making sure every part gets at least 2 coats of paint.
7. Sign your gourd
8. Coat with clear acrylic spray